One of the Steampunk mini-hats I made for us to wear at the Ren Fair's Time Traveler's weekend! I put these together last minute and had a blast!
I used suiting fabric for the outer covering and heavy card stock for the under-form. The top of the crown was wider then the base, so I had to take out some of the back seam in order to slip it over the form. I used a ladder stitch to invisibly close the seam. Rolling the brim to slip it onto the brim form was a challenge.
I used seam binding on the edge of the brim. I had no trouble sewing through the fabric and the base material. I first basted the binding to the brim using wonder-under because pinning it made hard-to-remove marks. I basted both sides this way. Once I was done I carefully shaped the brim to give it a gentle upward curve.
The basic pattern for this project is from the Silhouette store and it was cut using the Silhouette Cameo (look under leprechaun hats). I didn't have to reinvent the wheel by making my own pattern, but I did have to amend and alter it to suit my particular needs. This one especially needed changes from the original.
The ability of the Cameo to cut 12x12 sheets of card stock made this last minute mini-hat feasible. Time was a huge factor for this project. The offset option in the toolbox allowed me to add seam allowances to produce the sewing pattern for the hat's outer covering. I've never used it for that purpose before. Too much fun!
Wait until you see the box I'm making to store it! Here's one of the other hats with the completed hatbox
:... and yet another Steampunk mini-hat