Here is the altered version of one of my Steampunk mini-hats. I curled one side of the brim and secured it to the side of the crown. This lent it a jauntier air, I think. I also completed the hatbox to store it.
I used a synthetic fabric that wasn't too heat friendly for this hat's cover, so I had to be careful to use the cool setting on the iron. It didn't want to ease around those curves, I can tell you! Since the crown of the hat was larger then the base, I had to undo the back seam about 2 inches in order to slip it over the basic form. I used a ladder stitch to invisibly close the seam back up again.
I also needed to roll the hat brim under structure so that the fabric covering could be put on. I didn't want to put a permanent crease into it. I did want to shape it, mind you, but not to actually mar the supporting material. This was a bit tricky but I managed by taking it very slowly. You can see the positive difference it made to curl over one side of the hat brim (see the original hat below for comparison).
Both basic patterns for this project are from the Silhouette store and were cut using the Silhouette Cameo (look under leprechaun hat and round box). I didn't have to reinvent the wheel, but I did have to amend and alter the patterns to suit my specific needs. The ability of the Cameo to cut 12x12 sheets was key in making the mini-hat the right size to actually wear
as a hat, and for making the hatbox roomy enough to store it. The offset tool allowed me to add seam allowances, which I've never done before in a program. Wow! I love this tool!The Original Version of this hat: